Recipe by Jenniegal
It's a wonderful comfort food. Friends and family always rave about this soup and want the recipe. Tastes even better after warming up the leftovers. This is a family favorite I got from my Mother-in-law. I use the dry packaged tortellini. If you're a garlic lover, don't be afraid to add more. If you're a spinach lover add more to the leftovers when warming over. When serving the soup sprinkle desired amount of parmesean cheese on top of individual portion and stir in.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Mmmm..... so good, but yet, so simple to make. I loved the tomato and italian flavors. I made this just as written, using all the optional ingredients. I think the fresh spinach is a must. It adds color and vitamins. Thanx for this healthy, filling soup!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced or pressed)
- 9 cups chicken broth (made from 9 cups water & 9 tsp of chicken bullion)
- 2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
- 9 ounces tortellini (cheese or spinach)
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes (in puree or unconcentrated tomato puree)
- 8 ounces fresh spinach (chopped) (optional)
- salt & pepper (optional)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive olive over medium heat.
- Saute garlic and onion 10 - 15 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and italian herbs. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in tortellini, then simmer 10 - 12 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, simmer 5 minutes.
- Add spinach, cook 3 minutes.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Season with parmesean cheese on serving portion.