It's a wonderful comfort food. Friends and family always rave about this soup and want the recipe. Tastes even better after warming up the leftovers. This is a family favorite I got from my Mother-in-law. I use the dry packaged tortellini. If you're a garlic lover, don't be afraid to add more. If you're a spinach lover add more to the leftovers when warming over. When serving the soup sprinkle desired amount of parmesean cheese on top of individual portion and stir in.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced or pressed)
- 9 cups chicken broth (made from 9 cups water & 9 tsp of chicken bullion)
- 2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
- 9 ounces tortellini (cheese or spinach)
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes (in puree or unconcentrated tomato puree)
- 8 ounces fresh spinach (chopped) (optional)
- salt & pepper (optional)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat olive olive over medium heat.
- Saute garlic and onion 10 - 15 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and italian herbs. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in tortellini, then simmer 10 - 12 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, simmer 5 minutes.
- Add spinach, cook 3 minutes.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Season with parmesean cheese on serving portion.
Mmmm..... so good, but yet, so simple to make. I loved the tomato and italian flavors. I made this just as written, using all the optional ingredients. I think the fresh spinach is a must. It adds color and vitamins. Thanx for this healthy, filling soup!