Recipe by Gramma'sgirl
My aunt is married into an Italian family and over the years has learned to make many Italian dishes. One summer we were visiting with her family and had this soup. It has become one of my favorites. I hope you enjoy it as well. It did come from one of her cookbooks and do not know the title, however it has been tweaked many a time.
- 1⁄2 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 cups beef broth (Or more if you would like a soupier consistency)
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 carrot
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small zucchini, halved and sliced
- three-cheese tortellini, 1 package
- 1⁄2 cup pecorino romano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. cook sausage until evenly browned over medium heat. Add water. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain.
- 2. Heat oil in 5 quart pot over medium heat. Cook and stir onion and garlic in oil for 4 minutes or until onion is soft.
- 3. Stir in broth, tomatoes, carrots, herbs, salt and pepper. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4. Add sausage to mixture. Simmer 10 minutes.
- 5. Bring soup to a basil over high heat. Add zucchini and tortellini. Gently boil 7 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- 6. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and serve immediately.