Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 min
Healthy soup made with wholesome foods. Taken from Real Simple magazine February 2006.
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) roasting chickens, cut into 8 pieces
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 carrots, cut into thin rounds
- 1⁄2 bunch swiss chard, cut crosswise into 1-inch strips
- 1 (8 -9 ounce) package tortellini, preferably vegetable
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt or 3⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Rince the chicken pieces and remove the skin.
- Place chicken in a large sauce pan.
- Add the borth and 2 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through (about 35 min.) Skim any foam that rises to the surface.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate; let cool.
- Shred the meat; discard the bones.
- Meanwhile, strain the broth and return it to the saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Add the carrots, Swiss chard, tortellini, salt and pepper and simmer according to the tortellini's package directions.
- When the tortellini are done, add the chicken and heat for 3 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- * for a lower fat/calorie recipe I subsitute whole grain brown rice for the tortellini.