Healthy soup made with wholesome foods. Taken from Real Simple magazine February 2006.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) roasting chickens, cut into 8 pieces
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 carrots, cut into thin rounds
- 1/2 bunch swiss chard, cut crosswise into 1-inch strips
- 1 (8 -9 ounce) package tortellini, preferably vegetable
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt or 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Rince the chicken pieces and remove the skin.
- 2Place chicken in a large sauce pan.
- 3Add the borth and 2 cups of water.
- 4Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through (about 35 min.) Skim any foam that rises to the surface.
- 5Transfer the chicken to a plate; let cool.
- 6Shred the meat; discard the bones.
- 7Meanwhile, strain the broth and return it to the saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- 8Add the carrots, Swiss chard, tortellini, salt and pepper and simmer according to the tortellini's package directions.
- 9When the tortellini are done, add the chicken and heat for 3 minutes.
- 10Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- 11* for a lower fat/calorie recipe I subsitute whole grain brown rice for the tortellini.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tortellini Soup
Serving Size: 1 (759 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 835.7
- Calories from Fat 440
- Total Fat 48.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 216.6 mg
- Sodium 1180.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 62.4 g