Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Very good soup.
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 packages tortellini (fresh, dried or frozen)
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 package chopped frozen spinach
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Brown sausage.
- Pour chicken broth into large pot.
- add onion, garlic and spinach.
- cook over med-high heat for 15-20 minutes .
- add tortellini.
- When pasta is almost done, add sausage and basil.
- Cool for another 10 minutes or so.
- Pour into bowls and top with couple tomato halves and cheese.
I loved this soup. The italian sausage adds a slightly spicy flavor to the soup. The only change we made is that we found we needed 3 cans of chicken broth (6 cups) instead of 1 can. We will make this again and again...
This is the basis of a wonderful, versatile dish! I've followed the basic idea of this recipe, with a few small changes. Omitted the sausage, browned the garlic (being a garlic lover, I actually used closer to 7 or so cloves) and onions in olive oil before adding the chicken broth. After bringing to a boil, I added the tortellinis and let roll freely for about 5 minutes. Then I tossed in the tomatoes and let it go till pasta was tender. At the last moment, I threw in the basil and spinach and cooked until just wilted. Don't forget the Parmigiano-Reggiano! This dish would work well with a variety of fresh vegetables and herbs... bravo!
Outstanding! This was a huge hit with my husband and three sons....and quite a few people at church who tried it. I tweaked it a bit to suit us...one thing I did was add an 8 oz can of tomato sauce in lieu of the cherry tomatoes. I also followed Dawn's suggestion of 6 cups of broth. I can't wait to make this again and experiment with it!