Recipe by CIndytc
I saw this being made on Food Network. The presentation was fabulous, so I want to try this....it feeds alot but I am sure you can cut in half easy.
Top Review by spiritussancto
this was tasty but i did make some major changes. first of all, adding a cup and a half of oil to any one dish is insane. i drizzled with a little bit, added about 1/3 cup low-fat mayo for creaminess and skipped the rest. i also skipped the tarragon as i don't like it and used half lemon juice, half balsamic vinegar. think this looks just as pretty with everything tossed together in a bowl. i used cheese-stuffed tortellini and bocaccini as my fresh mozza. white onions work just as well as scallions. next time i might use spinach instead of arugula for a gentler texture. i also don't think the parsley added a good aspect so i'd skip that and instead add a sprinkle of good parmesan. this also might work with a bit of fresh dill, oregano, or thyme. i will make it again, but not as written.
- 2 lbs packaged tortellini
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups tomatoes, freshly diced
- 4 tablespoons tarragon leaves, chopped
- 4 tablespoons basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, leaves minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh mozzarella balls, sliced 1/4 inch thick into approximately 30 slices
- 4 cups arugula
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook the tortellini according to the package instructions. When fully cooked, drain and toss with the 2 T. olive oil and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a nonreactive mixing bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, herbs, shallots, lemon juice, and remaining 1 1/4 cup olive oil. Mix to combine and season with salt and pepper to combine. When the tortellini have cooled to room temperature toss with the tomato vinaigrette.
- To serve, line the perimeter of a large serving platter with overlapping slices of fresh mozzarella. Spoon the tortellini salad in the center and scatter the arugula leaves over the top.
- Sprinkle with fresh shredded Parmesan on top if you like.