Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
My dad loved the tortellini salad at the local deli, and after many trials and experiments, came up with this amazing recipe. Feel free to alter to suit your taste, it is a very flexible recipe.
- 12 -16 ounces dry cheese tortellini
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black olives, sliced
- 5 green onions
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Cook and cool tortellini, use a dash of olive oil to keep the pasta separated.
- Heat oil, saute celery with Italian seasoning; add carrots and onion with the juice from the tomatoes. Bring to a boil, and simmer 5-8 minutes. Add olives and green onions;cook 2 additional minutes; add tomatoes. Bring mixture to a boil and remove from heat.
- Spoon vegetables from juice and add to cooling tortellini. Add tomato sauce (or ketchup) to juice in pan. Stir in cornstarch until mixture is of a gravy or thing roux consistency. Cool slightly before adding to pasta mixture. Add Parmesan when layering into the pasta; best to blend when both are warm.
- Cool thoroughly before serving.