Recipe by zeldaz51
Adapted from "Super Natural Every Day" by Heidi Swanson. Use any tortellini stuffed with cheese, spinach tortellini or whole wheat tortellini are also recommended. I successfully make a half-recipe because I get a 9-ounce package of pasta, but I make the full amount of dressing. Leftover dressing can be used to re-dress the leftovers, as they absorb it over time, or for other salads. I also like my veggies cooked a bit longer than 30 seconds, so I put them in a minute before the pasta is done. I like sunflower seeds in it if I have no pine nuts. Any bit of healthful crunchiness will work.
- sea salt
- 16 ounces fresh ricotta-stuffed tortellini
- 8 -10 asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 head broccoli or 1⁄2 head equivalent Broccolini, cut into small bite-sized trees
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small handful fresh cilantro (about 1/4 cup) or 1 small mint, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 small handful of fresh mixed sprouts (any kind)
- 1 ounce toasted pine nuts or 1 ounce almonds
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced into small pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt generously, add the tortellini, then cook acccording to package directions. About 30 (to 60) seconds before the pasta is finished cooking, stir the asparagus and broccoli pieces into the pot. Finish cooking, drain, and run under cold water just long enough to stop the cooking. Set aside or refrigerate until ready to dress and serve.
- To make the dressing, mash the garlic along with a big pinch of salt to make a paste, using the flat side of a heavy knife. Whisk together the garlic paste, lemon juice, olive oil, and more salt, if needed. Set aside.
- Note: I just make the drressing in a mini food processor, not mashing the garlic into a paste first.
- When ready to serve, toss the pasta and vegetable mixture with the cilantro and about half of the dressing. Add more dressing if needed, then add the sprouts, nuts, and avocado. Toss again very gently a couple of times to distribute everything, then serve. Use the extra dressing to refresh leftovers the next day.