Recipe by Caryn
This salad is a meal in itself. I've served it alone as a meal with bread/butter and taken it as a salad to gatherings where it has been well received.
- 3 (9 ounce) packages Contadina 3 cheese tortellini, cook according to directions, cool
- 1 (12 ounce) bag broccoli carrots and water chestnut mix, cook according to directions, cool
- 1 (12 ounce) box frozen asparagus, tips, cook according to directions, drain, cool
- 1 cup frozen green pea, no need to cook
- 2 -4 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb deli sliced honey-roasted ham, cut into 3/4 inch squares
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the cheese tortellini, broccoli/carrot/water chestnut mix, and asparagus tips according to the package directions, drain, and cool; set aside.
- Chop the FRESH basil; set aside.
- Cut the honey ham into 3/4 inch squares; set aside.
- Prepare the fresh mayonnaise by processing the egg yolk, lemon juice, mustard, and vinegar in either a food processor or blender for 30 seconds.
- With the machine running, slowly pour the combined oils in a thin steady stream through the top to make a light mayonnaise.
- Add the thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Process to finish the light mayonnaise.
- In a large bowl, combine the cheese tortellini, broccoli/carrots/water chestnuts, asparagus tips, frozen green peas, green onion, basil, and honey ham.
- Toss until well distributed.
- Pour the light mayonnaise over the tortellini mixture and mix till evenly coated.
- Serving size depends on whether this is served as a meal or as a side dish.