Prep 30 mins
Cook 23 mins
From BHG's New Diabetic Cookbook. Per 2 c. serving: 253 calories, 4 g fat, 43 mg cholesterol, 42 g carb, 7 g fiber, 14 g protein. Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil (or 1 teaspoon dried basil)
- 4 teaspoons powdered fruit pectin
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar (or rice wine vinegar)
- 1 (9 ounce) packagerefrigerated tortellini (light garlic and cheese)
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup fresh snow pea pods, halved
- 4 lettuce leaves
- To make the dressing: stir together the basil, pectin, mustard, garlic, sugar, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Stir in water and vinegar; cover and chill 30 minutes (at least).
- Cook tortellini by following the package directions (except omit oil).
- Add in the broccoli and carrots during the last 3 minutes of cooking.
- Drain; rinse with cold running water; drain again.
- In a serving bowl combine the pasta mixture and green onions; drizzle with dressing.
- Toss to coat; cover and chill 2-24 hours.
- To serve: gently stir in the tomato and pea pods; adjust seasoning to taste.
- Line four salad plates with lettuce leaves; top with pasta mixture.