Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This takes a bit of time to make, but the end result is amazing.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 -3 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup grated asiago cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 mushrooms, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 -2 package refrigerated tortellini (, not cheese use meat)
- Marinara: In a 2-quart sauce pan, over medium heat, cook onion and garlic till tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Heat to boiling, stir to break up tomatoes.
- Reduce heat, simmer with cover on for about 20 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- I recommend blending it with a hand blender Alfredo Sauce: In small sauce pan, over medium low heat, melt butter.
- Just before mixing with pasta, add cheese, stirring until it is melted.
- Slowly add cream, heat until thoroughly mixed.
- Add to pasta according to directions.
- Pasta: Prepare Tortellini according to package directions.
- In the meantime, melt butter, add onion and cook until clear.
- Add tomatoes and mushrooms, cook until tender.
- Add garlic and Marinara Sauce, heat until hot.
- Add Alfredo Sauce, mix well until hot.
- Add cooked Tortellini, mix well, and serve immediately.
- Serves 6 generous portions.
- NOTES: Marinara sauce can be prepared a day or two ahead.
- Garlic is the secret to this dish so use as much as you want.
- I usually adjust it according to who I serve it to.
- We love garlic so I use lots!
- I use a mixture of stuffed Tortellini, like Chicken, Sausage, etc.
- but try to stay away from cheese stuffed.
This was simply delicious. The flavor of the sauce was fantastic. I didn't find it too much work at all. The only difference I did only cause that is all I had was for the Alfredo I used half and half cream and percorino romano cheese. Didn't affect the taste at all I am sure. Also my tortellini had cheese filling. But we love cheese. Thank you so much for posting this recipe Cathy
I was excited when I found this recipe. I was looking for a creamy tomato sauce to go with tortellini I had bought. After many different searches I found this perfect recipe. Like some other chefs I panfried some chicken breasts (just until barely cooked) and added them to the marinara sauce and let simmer until the chicken was completely done. I doubled the recipe, but cut down on the butter in the alfredo sauce. I will definitely make this recipe again.
The sauce was to die for. Very, very delicious! I followed the directions only decreased all the onion slightly and did not add any mushroom as we didn't have any. I did break the rule and used cheese tortellini as that was all I had. Came out fabulous. I pan fried some chicken to go with it. Next time I can't wait to try it with a meat filled tortellini.