Recipe by BlondieItaliana
Tortellini Michelangelo is a rich, creamy, and filling dish. Legend has it that Michelangelo conveyed his love for this dish through letters. I have seen this made sometimes with added chicken & prosciutto -sometimes just with mushrooms & peas... there are many varieties out there... some with meat tortellini, some with just cheese tortellini, and some use tri-color tortellini. This recipe is based on the dish from my local Italian Pizzeria here in NJ - theirs consists of: meat tortellini, chicken, pancetta, prosciutto, and minced onion in cream sauce. I use my own basic white cream sauce Basic Italian White Cream Sauce (Like an Alfredo or Bechamel) to make this dish and for this recipe you need to 1st prepare that sauce.
Top Review by MARIA MAC *
This is awsome. They serve this at a restaraunt here in Boston and it is just as good as theirs. Also I really don't care where Michelangelo is from or if he cooked. Thanks for the recipe!!!
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs tortellini, meat filled
- 1 chicken breast, pre-cooked & cut into bite size pieces
- 2 slices pancetta, thick sliced & cut into small slices
- 2 slices prosciutto (or ham, cut into small slices)
- 1⁄3 cup onion (minced or finely diced)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2⁄3 cup mushroom, sliced (fresh)
- 1⁄3 cup peas (frozen)
- 1 ounce chicken stock
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated (fresh if possible)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (only use if needed to thin out cream sauce)
- salt and pepper
- white sauce, Basic Italian White Cream Sauce (Like an Alfredo or Bechamel) as prepared
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare tortellini as per package directions, drain & set aside (add dash of olive oil & 1 oz. chicken stock so does not all stick together.
- Meanwhile, prepare white sauce Recipe #302996 as directed only prepare in dutch oven or large stockpot and keep on low flame when done.
- Once white sauce is made, brown mushrooms & onion in 1 tablespoon butter add pre-cooked & cut chicken, and pancetta & prosciutto to brown for a few minutes then add all that to dutch oven.
- Stir in tortellini & parmesan cheese. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- ** If sauce is too thick, add up to 1/2 cup additional heavy cream 1 tablepoon at a time until desired consistency.
- ** Note: tortellini should not be smothered in the sauce, only supposed to coat the tortellini so you may need to use a full 2 lbs. tortellini.