Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Delicious rosy colored sauce that will make your taste buds beg for more.
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 3 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb cheese tortellini or 1 lb meat-filled tortellini, fresh or frozen
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil (don't use dried)
- Mince carrots,celery, and onion.
- In a dutch oven over medium high heat in hot oil,cook celery, carrots and onion for 5 minutes, stirring every once in awhile.
- Add tomatoes with their liquid,salt,sugar, and pepper.
- Over high heat, heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium;cook 10 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- While sauce is simmering,cook tortellini as package directs.
- Put sauce into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour sauce back into pan.
- Over medium heat, gradually stir in cream and basil; heat through.
- Drain tortellini; return to sauce pot.
- Add tomato sauce to tortellini; over medium heat,heat through, tossing gently to mix.
This was very good. I chose this recipe over others because it uses fresh vegetables. The only changes I made were to use 1 stalk of celery instead of 2 and to use 2 cloves of garlic. Will be making it again.