Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Homey baked tortellini casserole recipe from Better Homes & Gardens.
Make and share this Tortellini Emilia recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (453.59 g) packagedried cheese-filled tortellini
- 44.37 ml finely chopped red onions
- 29.58 ml finely chopped shallots
- 14.79 ml butter
- 473.18 ml half-and-half or 473.18 ml light cream
- 118.29 ml milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 59.14 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 14.79 ml snipped fresh sage or 4.92 ml dried sage, crushed
- 1.23 ml ground black pepper
- 118.29 ml shredded gruyere (2 ounces) or 118.29 ml swiss cheese (2 ounces)
- 118.29 ml walnut pieces
- 56.69 g prosciutto, finely snipped or 56.69 g cooked ham, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain; set aside.
- For sauce, in a medium saucepan cook onion and shallots in hot butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in cream and milk. Bring just to boiling. Remove from heat. In a small bowl lightly beat egg yolks. Slowly add about 1 cup of the hot mixture to the beaten yolks, beating until combined. Return all of the egg yolk mixture to saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-low heat about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened and just bubbly. Stir in Parmesan cheese, sage, and pepper.
- Transfer half of the cooked tortellini to a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Sprinkle with the Gruyere cheese. Pour half of the sauce over tortellini. Top with the remaining cooked tortellini, the walnuts, the prosciutto, and the remaining sauce.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until top is lightly browned and mixture is bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.