Homey baked tortellini casserole recipe from Better Homes & Gardens.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (8 ounce) packages dried cheese-filled tortellini
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups half-and-half or 2 cups light cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded gruyere (2 ounces) or 1/2 cup swiss cheese (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 2 ounces prosciutto, finely snipped or 2 ounces cooked ham, finely chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain; set aside.
- 2For sauce, in a medium saucepan cook onion and shallots in hot butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in cream and milk. Bring just to boiling. Remove from heat. In a small bowl lightly beat egg yolks. Slowly add about 1 cup of the hot mixture to the beaten yolks, beating until combined. Return all of the egg yolk mixture to saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-low heat about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened and just bubbly. Stir in Parmesan cheese, sage, and pepper.
- 3Transfer half of the cooked tortellini to a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Sprinkle with the Gruyere cheese. Pour half of the sauce over tortellini. Top with the remaining cooked tortellini, the walnuts, the prosciutto, and the remaining sauce.
- 4Bake about 20 minutes or until top is lightly browned and mixture is bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tortellini Emilia
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 380.9
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 103.8 mg
- Sodium 467.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 15.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: