Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Homey baked tortellini casserole recipe from Better Homes & Gardens.
Make and share this Tortellini Emilia recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (8 ounce) packagesdried cheese-filled tortellini
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups half-and-half or 2 cups light cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded gruyere (2 ounces) or 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese (2 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup walnut pieces
- 2 ounces prosciutto, finely snipped or 2 ounces cooked ham, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain; set aside.
- For sauce, in a medium saucepan cook onion and shallots in hot butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in cream and milk. Bring just to boiling. Remove from heat. In a small bowl lightly beat egg yolks. Slowly add about 1 cup of the hot mixture to the beaten yolks, beating until combined. Return all of the egg yolk mixture to saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-low heat about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened and just bubbly. Stir in Parmesan cheese, sage, and pepper.
- Transfer half of the cooked tortellini to a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Sprinkle with the Gruyere cheese. Pour half of the sauce over tortellini. Top with the remaining cooked tortellini, the walnuts, the prosciutto, and the remaining sauce.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until top is lightly browned and mixture is bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.