Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Translation: Tortellini with ham, mushrooms, and peas - in a nice Alfredo sauce with absolutely no concessions to the state of your arteries.
- 1 lb cheese tortellini
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 dash freshly-grated nutmeg
- 4 ounces prosciutto or 4 ounces ham
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- Cook the tortellini in boiling water according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the frozen peas in a small amount of salted water until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Cut the prosciutto into julienne strips about 2 inches long.
- Saute the prosciutto and mushrooms in a small amount of butter until just heated through. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, then add the flour.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the flour is a light golden color.
- Add the half-and-half and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Continue to cook, stirring often, until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Place the egg yolk in a separate bowl and beat slightly. Mix about 1/2 cup of the hot half-and-half mixture into the egg yolk.
- Slowly whisk back into the hot mixture and cook over medium low heat for another few minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the nutmeg and parmesan cheese and stir until the cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the tortellini, peas, ham and mushrooms. Pour the sauce over and toss gently but thoroughly to coat.
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
THANK YOU PATTY MAE! I've been searching for a recipe to make Tortellini della Mama, a dish I ALWAYS ordered when we went out to eat up in New Jersey. Haven't been able to find it down here in FL, so figured I'd just look it up online. NOT AN EASY CHORE! When I found this recipe, it uses all the same ingredients...and long story short, this IS the same recipe! AND IT IS DELISH!!! Even my husband, who's a very picky eater, named this one as a "make again" recipe...so we'll be enjoying this at least a few times a month! Thanks Patty, this is exactly the recipe I needed and I LOVE IT!!!