Recipe by Kitchen Queen
This is my family's favourite recipe and makes a hearty meal. I have taken this to many potlucks and never have to bring back leftovers!
Top Review by pixiesmom
This was really good - I did substitute 1 cup of prepared Tomato (pasta sauce - with garlic and fresh tomatoes) in place of the tomatos and spices - used half beef and half cheese tortellini, and only 1 cup of grated cheese. I did add fresh spinach instead of brocolli - just added it to the heated sauce. The whole family loved it. Easy to make additions or subtractions from. Thanks!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup pureed tomatoes or 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb meat-filled tortellini or 1 lb cheese tortellini
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into chunks
- 2 cups grated colby cheese or 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add garlic and onion and cook gently 3-4 minutes until fragrant and tender.
- Sprinkle with flour.
- Cook 3-4 minutes longer.
- Whisk in milk and bring to a boil.
- Add tomatoes, paste, herbs, s/p and cook 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook tortellini in boiling water for 3 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain very well.
- Combine the pasta and broccoli with the sauce.
- Add grated cheese and transfer to a large baking dish.
- Sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.