Recipe by bert
You can use either fresh or frozen tortellini. The cooking time remains the same for either one. This is one terrific recipe I found in a milk calender here a few years back.
Top Review by Carrie Ann
My family, who loves cheese, really enjoyed this super cheesey casserole.I left out the thyme and used mozzerella cheese instead of the cheddar. Combined with the cheese tortellini,this was an instant success!Thanks for a great recipe.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup pureed canned tomatoes or 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb tortellini (meat or cheese)
- 1 bunch broccoli, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large saucepan.
- Add garlic and onion.
- Cook gently 3- 4 minutes until fragrant and tender.
- Sprinkle with flour.
- Cook 3- 4 minutes longer but do not brown.
- Whisk in milk.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add tomatoes, paste, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Cook 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook tortellini in boiling, salted water for 3 min.
- Add broccoli and continue to cook 5 minutes longer.
- Drain well.
- Combine drained tortellini mixture with sauce.
- Add cheese.
- Transfer to a 3 qt baking dish.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 30 minutes or until hot and lightly browned.