You can use either fresh or frozen tortellini. The cooking time remains the same for either one. This is one terrific recipe I found in a milk calender here a few years back.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup pureed canned tomatoes or 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb tortellini (meat or cheese)
- 1 bunch broccoli, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Melt butter in a large saucepan.
- 2Add garlic and onion.
- 3Cook gently 3- 4 minutes until fragrant and tender.
- 4Sprinkle with flour.
- 5Cook 3- 4 minutes longer but do not brown.
- 6Whisk in milk.
- 7Bring to a boil.
- 8Add tomatoes, paste, herbs, salt and pepper.
- 9Cook 5 minutes.
- 10Meanwhile, cook tortellini in boiling, salted water for 3 min.
- 11Add broccoli and continue to cook 5 minutes longer.
- 12Drain well.
- 13Combine drained tortellini mixture with sauce.
- 14Add cheese.
- 15Transfer to a 3 qt baking dish.
- 16Sprinkle with grated Parmesan.
- 17Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 30 minutes or until hot and lightly browned.
Browse Our Top Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tortellini Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (375 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 914.7
- Calories from Fat 425
- Total Fat 47.2 g
- Saturated Fat 28.3 g
- Cholesterol 165.5 mg
- Sodium 1815.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 44.3 g