Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
Classic ingredients and savory fresh herbs combine to create this hearty Bolognese, featuring a slowly simmered red sauce. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese over cheese tortellini.
Top Review by GlutenFreeInDixie
Wow. I made this exactly as directed, and it turned out amazing. (Well, I used gluten-free spaghetti instead of tortellini because I don't think they make gluten-free tortellini yet.) I was hesitant when I saw 2 CUPS of red wine because I usually don't use that much to deglaze, but it wasn't too much at all. It added the perfect amount of depth and complexity to the sauce and really harmonized with the beef and sausage. This was really easy to make too. Definitely a keeper.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 12 ounces Italian sausage, skinned
- 2 cups red wine
- 36 ounces crushed tomatoes, chopped (ground)
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage, chopped or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 4 lbs tortellini
- parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- HEAT oil in a large pan. Add celery, carrot, onion, garlic and cook about 5 minutes. Add meat and cook 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- DEGLAZE pan with wine; let reduce. Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients and stir. Simmer for about 1 hour.
- TOSS hot, drained pasta in sauce. Top with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.