Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Meatless and low-fat, yet hearty and pretty darn good. ;) Add and extra cup of broth if you like a "soupier" soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large carrot, pared and chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups chicken broth, can use veggie broth
- 1 (9 ounce) packagedry cheese tortellini, I use ricotta and spinach-filled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- salt, to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil. Add onions, green pepper, garlic, carrot and mushrooms; saute for 5 - 7 minutes.
- Add both cans of tomatoes, broth, tortellini, thyme, parsley and pepper.
- Heat to a boiling. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add salt, if needed, to taste.
Wonderful, full of flavor. I made acorrding to directions, except used Garlic and Herb Mrs Dash instead of parsley and salt. Sprinkled grated parm on top. Wonderful meatless night.