Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
You can use refrigerated meat or cheese tortellini for this soup. This is a meal in 30 minutes.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) packageloose-pack frozen broccoli carrots cauliflower mix
- 1 (9 ounce) refrigerated tortellini
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed or 1 tablespoon fresh basil, snipped
- 1 cup shredded process smoked gouda cheese
- In a large saucepan combine broth and frozen vegetables. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in tortellini, return to boil, reduce heat, and simmer about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a screw-top jar combine about half of the milk and all of the flour. Cover and shake well. Add to broth mixture, add remaining milk and basil.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for one more minute.
- Stir in cheese until melts. If desired, season to taste with fresh ground black pepper and salt.
My family loves this recipe. I use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth, and Silk soy milk instead of dairy milk. And, I make the recipe even more decadent by spooning the chowder over biscuits. It makes the recipe like an open faced pot pie, and we gobble it up. I love the texture of the tortellini and moist biscuit (from the chowder). Yum.
This was just what I was looking for: A pack of tortellini in the fridge, and me longing for some comfort food... this goes together quickly, and is soooo satisfying after a long day. Will definitely make it again!
I am Jeannie Finley's daughter and she wanted me to post this for her b/c she is computer illiterate :Ãž This Recipe is AMAZING and would recommend to anyone, quick and easy, too!