Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This goes great with crusty bread and a garden salad.
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 1 lb meat-filled tortellini or 1 lb cheese tortellini
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil oregano and garlic
- 10 -12 slices American cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash broccoli and cut into bite size pieces.
- Cook broccoli in boiling water for 4 to 5 minutes and drain.
- Cook tortellini according to package directions and drain.
- Mix broccoli and tortellini together and set aside.
- In a medium size pan heat butter until melted.
- Stir in flour salt and pepper.
- Mix chicken broth and milk together and add slowly to flour/butter mixture.
- Cook and stir until thickened.
- Spray and 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Layer in pan: 1/2 tortellini broccoli mixture, 1/2 the white sauce, 1/2 the American cheese slices and 1 can of tomatoes.
- Repeat layers and top with Parmesan cheese.
- Cook, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until bubbly and hot.