Recipe by superbuna
This makes two delicious rolled cakes. Have made this for numerous occasions. It freezes well, too. Recipe was from my mother..one wonderful cook and baker.
for the cake
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup sifted flour
- 1⁄4 cup sifted cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons rum or 2 tablespoons cognac
for the filling and frosting
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar
- 1 lb sweet butter
- 3 strictly fresh preferably pasteurized egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup approximately boiling hot coffee or 1⁄4 cup hot milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons rum or 4 tablespoons cognac
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE CAKE:
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Beat egg yolks until thick.
- Gradually beat sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon juice into yolks.
- Sift in flour, cornstarch and salt.
- Add remaining lemon juice and beat until smooth.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Spread evenly in two 10"x15"x1" pans lined on the bottom with waxed paper. (If only one pan is available other half of batter can wait).
- Bake in 375 degree oven for about 10 minutes.
- Turn out onto rack and peel off paper at once.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons rum or cognac over each cake.
- Spread on filling; roll up lengthwise; frost outside with more filling.
- Chill thoroughly.
- FOR THE FILLING:.
- Place confectioners sugar in large mixing bowl; cut in butter; add egg yolks and rum or cognac.
- Mix on low speed of electric mixer.
- Gradually add hot coffee or milk, a teaspoon at a time till you've added about 1/4 cup.
- Now turn mixer to high speed and let it whip for 10 minutes.
- More liquid can be added, if required to obtain a thick, creamy consistency.
- Fold in vanilla.
- Note: For Mocha Filling use coffee and rum; for Chocolate Filling use hot milk and cognac.
- You can dress 'em up by sprinkling ground nuts on top and/or ground nuts over the filling before it's rolled up, adding shaved chocolate, or chocolate covered coffee beans on top.