Recipe by Patchwork Dragon
The name translates (roughly) to Rich Almond Tart, although it is more of a cake than a tart (no pastry). It is quite dense and very moist and doesn't rise very much, so don't panic and think it doesn't work! The recipe was a free one from the people who make Olivio, which is an olive oil spread available here in the UK. NB: I have used Margarine spread in the recipe as it wouldn't accept Olivio and there didn't seem to be an alternative on the list. Make sure you use something that will withstand baking, not all margarines will.
Top Review by chia
we had 4 power outages in the time this was baking yet despite that it still came out good. the only change i made was to use pecans instead of almonds and 1 tsp of almond extract. i baked this in a silicone pan and it came right out easily. very good with a cup of tea.
- 175 g margarine, spread
- 200 g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 125 g ground almonds
- 70 g plain flour
- 3 -4 drops almond essence
- sliced almonds
- icing sugar, to finish
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F/Gas No 4.
- Blend Olivio and sugar until light and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Fold in ground almonds, flour and almond essence.
- Place mixture in a greased and bottom lined 20cm (8 inch) cake tin.
- Sprinkle with flaked almonds and bake for 1-1.25 hours (Mine actually only took about 50 minutes so keep an eye on it).
- Cool on a wire rack, turn out and sprinkle with sieved icing sugar.