Recipe by ladypit
This is a really interesting sounding recipe from Doris Janzen Longacre's "More With Less Cookbook".
Top Review by Derf
We enjoyed this spinach pie, I did change it some. I cut out the top crust, didn't feel it was necessary. As it turned out the cheese kinda came to the top and made a very nice crust of it's own. Also added one chopped seeded jalepeno pepper, and used fresh chopped spinach, I happened to have in, instead of frozen. We liked the nutmeg oregano combination but what really made it was the swiss cheese. I think another time I would add more chopped veggies like bell pepper, and other egg. One note for others: there is no size given for the pie crust, I used a 9 inch pie plate, any thing larger would make a very thin filling, it would have been even better if it were smaller. All in all, a good basic recipe that could be tweeked to use what you have on hand. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie (top & bottom)
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen spinach
- 1 chopped onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the bottom crust in your pie plate.
- Cook the spinach, drain it, and chop it finely.
- Saute the chopped onion in a little cooking spray.
- Mix together the spinach, the onion, and the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust.
- Add the top crust and seal.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.