Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Italian Bread Pudding typical from the area around Milano, my city. I hope you will enjoy it.
- 13 ounces white bread (french or italian simple bread, better if one day old)
- 7 ounces amaretti cookies or 7 ounces other dry cookies (bitter almonds macaroons, for example)
- 4 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 1⁄2 ounces bittersweet cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup Amaretto, di saronno originale (optional only if you use other cookies)
- 3 1⁄2 ounces white sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts (or almonds)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- Soak cookies and bread in the milk overnight.
- The day after blend the soaked mixture in an electric mixer.
- Pour mixture in a medium bowl, fold in eggs and then the rest of the ingredients until well blended.
- Grease a 9 inches round pan and coat greased bottom and sides with some flour or breadcrumb.
- Pour mixture in prepared pan and bake in preheated oven (175°C 350°F) for about 45 minutes.
- Serve cold.