Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Lovely Italian dessert. It is rich but very good. In a sense you could call it a pie but who cares just make it and MMMmm try it!
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons grated lemons
- 4 ounces butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 2 green apples, peeled,cored and cut into quarters and cut thinly
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon mixed peel
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package cream, extra
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Sift together the dry pastry ingredients mix well.
- Cut in the butter until mealy (use pastry cutter or two knives).
- Beat the egg yolk and cream add to the flour mixture, mix well and form a round ball.
- Roll out to about 11x7" rectangle.
- line a pyrex dish with the pastry, bringing the edges up the sides, trim.
- Arrange apples, overlapping on the cake base.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until thick.
- Gradually add the 2 tbsp flour, lemon rind, cream softened cream cheese, raisins, salt and peelBake in moderate oven (350F) 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- Serve room temp with cream (not whipped or serve warm with stiff whipped cream or serve without cream).
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
This is a really yummy dessert - kind of like an apple pie and cheese cake combination.
This was wonderful! The crust came out flaky and tender. The filling was amazing. I wasn't sure about apples, cream cheese and raisins (I did use currants, but same thing). It was delicate, flavorful and they combined so well together! With the sweetened whipped cream it was a great end to dinner with something to cleanse the palate and not overly sweet as with so many other desserts. Thank you!