Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I saw this on a local news station as an Olympic Dessert special saluting Italy, but wanted to wait until I made it before posting. Very quick and easy and extremely good with or without the Ricotta cream. Makes a colorful presentation!!!
- 2⁄3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 8 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted
- 4 1⁄2 cups mixed blueberries or 4 1⁄2 cups raspberries or 4 1⁄2 cups blackberries or 4 1⁄2 cups strawberries
for ricotta whipped cream
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray an 11 inch removable bottomed tart pan with cooking spray.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, and continue mixing until smooth.
- Add lemon zest and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture.
- Fold flour into mixture until just blended.
- Pour mixture into tart pan and spread evenly.
- Top with 3 cups of mix berries (reserve remaining berries for topping).
- Lightly press fruit into mixture.
- Place in oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- In small bowl, mix ricotta, powdered sugar, and vanilla until well blended.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form.
- Add ricotta mixture and continue to whip until smooth.
- Dust cake with powdered sugar and top with remaining fruit.
- Serve with ricotta whipped cream.