Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Maryanne Esposito's "Ciao Italia!", episode "Cucinando con Vino Rosso" (2006)
- 1 3⁄4 cups unsalted butter (3 1/2 sticks)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons natural cocoa powder
- 5 1⁄4 ounces chopped semisweet chocolate or 5 1⁄4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Cream butter and sugar in stand mixer. When light and fluffy, add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and wine.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and cocoa powder. Add flour mixture to mixer bowl, 1/3 at a time, running on low and pausing while adding dry ingredients. Mix until well-blended. Remove bowl from mixer. Add chocolate and fold in by hand.
- Spray one 10 1/2-inch or 2 9-inch cake pans with butter-and-flour baking spray, or butter and dust with cocoa powder. Pour batter into pan(s).
- Bake in preheated 350F oven for 35-40 minutes or until skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack until completely cool. If made as a single layer, dust top with confectioner's sugar in a small sieve. Serve with small glasses of a red dessert wine.