Recipe by Annacia
"Torta di Riso is one of Italy's favourite cold picnic food recipes and a big part of Easter Italian food customs". This recipe was originaly posted by Cath Andrews on: http://www.explore-italian-culture.com/cold-picnic-food-recipes.html. Thank you Cath for sharing this great recipe.
Top Review by katew
Delicious and easy to do, pretty economical too in the scheme of things. I probably under salted mine but that is easy to remedy. I used a mix of kale and spinach in mine. Made for ZWT 7.
- 1 cup arborio rice (risotto)
- 3⁄4 cup frozen spinach
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 medium onion
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6, 200ºC, 400ºF.
- Defrost the spinach and squeeze as much liquid out of it as possible.
- Boil the rice in salted water until 'al dente'.
- Fry the onion in the olive oil until soft and golden.
- Break the eggs into a cup and beat lightly.
- Put the rice in a large bowl and add the Parmesan, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add the spinach, onion and butter, followed by the eggs.
- Mix everything together thoroughly.
- Grease an ovenproof dish. Make sure it's not too big - the mixture should be three inches or so deep.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until firm and golden brown.