Recipe by Bergy
I have not made this cake, but it sounds delicious and is from "The Nella Cuccina" cookbook so I know it will be very good. It is a good keeper (you can freeze it) and a lovely company cake to serve!
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 4 tablespoons grappa or 4 tablespoons brandy
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 6 large eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or 1⁄3 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts
- 1 cup coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate
- confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl soak the raisins for at least an hour.
- Pre heat oven to 375f& grease two deep 9 1/2" x 1 1/2" cake pans.
- Fit a circle of parchment paper on the bottom of each and grease the paper then dust with flour, shake out excess.
- Toast the pine nuts in the oven for 3-4 minutes, watch closely they burn easily.
- Beat eggs until pale yellow.
- Gradually add sugar and continue beating until thick.
- Add ricotta& milk (cream)& continue beating until the mixture is smooth.
- Sprinkle in the orange zest and fold in with a spatula.
- Sift 3 cups of flour with the baking powder.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the egg/cheese mixture, beating at a slow speed until the mixture is smooth.
- Drain& dry the raisins, reserve the brandy.
- Toss raisins with the remaining flour, add to the batter.
- Gently fold in the the brandy, nuts& chocolate.
- Divide between the two pans, Bake on middle rake for about 40-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- If the cakes start to brown too quickly place a loose sheet of aluminium foil on top.
- Cool cakes on wire racks.
- Remove from cake pans and discard the parchment paper.
- You may now freeze the cakes,Well wrapped for up to 3 months OR Sprinkle a generous coating of confectioner's sugar.