Recipe by Kree
Wow does this look sinfully delicious! I don't think I'll ever be able to have it with my dietary restrictions, but I just had to share it anyway! It's from Wegman's Menu magazine, and is originally from an old Italian woman named Peppina.
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated,at room temperature
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coursely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup crushed amaretti cookie
- 1 pinch salt
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 9-inch cake pan.
- Line it with parchment paper and butter the paper.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together onto wax paper.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks one at a time.
- With a rubber spatula, fold in flour mixture.
- Stir in the chocolate and crushed cookies.
- In another bowl, with clean beaters, beat the egg whites with the salt until stiff peaks form.
- With rubber spatula, fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture one at a time.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack.
- Carefully remove the parchment paper; set another rack on top of the cake and turn right side up.
- Cool the cake completely.
- Dust with confectioner's sugar and cut into wedges to serve.