Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Torta de Santiago, Spanish Dessert Recipe This delicious torta or cake originates in the famous pilgrimage town of Santiago in the north west part of Spain. From Penelope Casas Foods and Wine of Spain
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1⁄2 lb almonds, finely ground
- 7 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Cream the sugar, lemon rind, and egg yolks until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Stir in the almonds and cinnamon.
- Beat the egg whites until they are stiff, but not dry.
- Stir a few tablespoons of the egg white into the almond mixture, then fold in the rest of the egg whites.
- Pour into 2 greased 8 in layer pans and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until the cakes are well browned.
- Cool briefly, then remove the cakes from the pans.
- coat with powdered sugar and nuts (optional).