Recipe by Pietro
Torta de Mele is the Italian description of this truly mouthwatering moist apple cake. Easy to make and can be served on its own or with cream, ice cream or a good thick custard.
- 5 apples
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 200 g sugar
- 1 vanilla bean seeds or 3 -4 drops good vanilla essence
- 5 eggs
- 300 g plain flour
- 150 g butter
- baking powder, for 300 grams flour
- 50 g pine nuts, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/340°F.
- 2. Place the butter into a saucepan and melt in the oven, taking care that it does not burn.
- 3. Peel the apples and cut them into small pieces. Add the lemon juice and 50 grams of the sugar. Mix together and set aside.
- 4. Break the eggs into a large bowl. Add the remaining sugar and beat together well.
- 5. Add the melted butter, the vanilla, the flour and the baking powder, mixing well.
- 6. Add the apples.
- 7. Put the mixture in a cake tin, sprinkle the toasted pine nuts on top and bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- 8. Serve with whipped cream, custard or vanilla ice cream.