1 hr 30 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
A really amazing, very rich cake from Colombia--a sort of bread pudding except instead of using bread, it uses pound cake (I have posted the recipe for the traditional Colombian pound cake). It's worth making just for the aromas of the cooking syrup and then the torta baking--but you will love eating it as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups sherry wine (a drinkable not too dry sherry(NOT cooking sherry)
- 8 ounces raisins
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 7 ounces shredded unsweetened coconut (dessicated is fine)
- 1 poundcake (the recipe I use provides a 10-inch cake)
- 10 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- butter, for the pan
- 1Soak the raisins in the sherry.
- 2Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- 3In a saucepan, combine the sugar, the water and the cinnamon sticks and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it forms a thick syrup.
- 4Add the coconut, stir well, and cook another three minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5Remove from heat and allow to cool; when cooled, remove and discard cinnamon sticks.
- 6Grate the poundcake into a large bowl.
- 7Beat the egg yolks and add them to the pound cake along with the coconut mixture, the raisins and sherry and the ground cinnamon.
- 8Butter a ten inch springform pan.
- 9Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- 10Fold them, using a rubber spatula, into the cake mixture, blending well but gently.
- 11Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for an hour, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 12Cool on a rack before opening the springform pan.
- 13Note: Even the best springform pans leak sometimes, so wrap the bottom with some foil and place a cookie sheet on the oven shelf beneath the shelf on which you bake the cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Torta De Coco (Coconut Cake)
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 699.9
- Calories from Fat 215
- Total Fat 23.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.4 g
- Cholesterol 277.8 mg
- Sodium 209.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 57.6 g
- Protein 10.2 g