Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Talk about decadent Mexican!! posted by request from Latin American cooking. (2 hours pastry chill time not included in cook time)
- To prepare the pastry: sift the flour, cocoa and salt together into a bowl.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or 2 knives until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add the sour cream and knead into a ball.
- Divide into 4 equal pieces and refrigerate 2 hours.
- On a floured board, roll each piece of dough out to a 10 x 10 inch square.
- Place each square on a buttered baking sheet, prick all over with a fork and bake in a 400f degree oven 10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the pastry squares to wire racks to cool.
- They will be very fragile.
- To prepare the filling: Place the chocolate, cream and butter in a saucepan and stir over low heat until the chocolate and butter are melted.
- Beat the egg yolks until thick.
- Beat in a few tablespoons of the hot chocolate mixture and stir back into the hot chocolate.
- Stir in the vanilla and let the mixture cool to spreading consistency.
- Do not refrigerate or it will be too stiff to spread.
- Place 1 pastry layer on a serving plate and spread with the filling.
- Continue layering, leaving the nicest looking pastry square for the top.
- Sift powdered sugar over the top layer.
- Using a pastry bag fitted with a star tube, decorate the top layer with a little of the leftover filling.