Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Of all the pickles prepared in the Middle East-and there are many of them - this is one of the most spectacular looking. A delight to serve with grilled and roasted meats. Be patient and resist the temptation to open the jar before they are ready! Once opened they will keep for 4-6 weeks in a cool place, if they last that long! From a favourite book The Complete Meze Table.
- Peel the turnips and cut in half.
- Peel the beetroot and slice thinly.
- Pack the turnips into sterilised jars alternating with layers of the beetroot, garlic and dates.
- Bring the water and the salt to boil and then add the vinegar.
- Pour over the vegetables making sure they are completely covered by the liquid.
- If there is not quite enough liquid add a little more vinegar and brine.
- Seal the jars and leave in the kitchen.
- Ready to eat in 10-12 days.
Lovely easy recipe for wonderful pickles! These are both more garlicky and more beet-y than the ones I've had in restaurants, and next time I make them I think I will use less beet, both because I found the beet flavour a bit strong and the colour too dark -- I love it when they are a bright neon pink. However, that's a minor quibble - these are great pickles. Love 'em!