Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
I summered in the White Mountains of AZ for many years and for several of those years I enjoyed luncheons with a woman's group at the Torreon Country Club in Show Low, AZ. They served this salad every time, yet no one got tired of it because it was varied so many different ways. I love serving this salad, whether to my bridge group or to my DH. I have even served a meatless version as a side-salad at the evening meal. This salad is a perfect way to use up the leftovers lurking in your fridge!
- 1 cup mixed salad green (more may be used)
- 3⁄4 cup mixed fruit (such as mandarin oranges, strawberry halves, banana chunks, blueberries, raspberries, etc., see firs)
- raspberry vinaigrette dressing (see second note, below)
- 1⁄8 cup toasted sliced almonds (see third note, below)
- 4 ounces cooked chicken meat, sliced, deli rotisserie chickens are fine here (see fourth note below)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread salad greens are your salad plate. Drizzle with the vinaigrette.
- Arrange the pieces of mixed fruit over the greens. Sprinkle the fruit with nuts.
- Top with slices of chicken. Drizzle more vinaigrette over all.
- Use any fruit you like. In addition to those mentioned you may want to choose from grapefruit segments, apricot halves, plum sections, cantaloupe or honeydew melon chunks, watermelon chunks, etc. You may want to use all tropical fruits, or all melon pieces or all berries.
- Use a complimentary vinaigrette. If there are strawberries but no raspberries in the mix, use strawberry vinaigrette.
- Use any toasted nut of choice. Or you may choose to use bleu cheese crumbles.
- Use any protein of choice: sliced pork or rare beef, grilled salmon or tuna, canned salmon or tuna, grilled or roasted shrimp or scallops, etc. In other words, use what you have on hand.