Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Another recipe given to me from my mother. Very easy to make and the ingredients I usually have on hand---so a real time saver.
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 coarsely cut onion
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lb lean hamburger or 1 lb sausage
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups mashed potatoes or 1 cup instant mashed potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- Saute celery and onion until barely tender.
- add: tomatoes and cooked hamburger.
- cook for 10 minutes.
- add broth, bay leaves, thyme, basil, parsley, and sugar and simmer for 30 mins.
- Blend in potatoes.
- Add wine.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
I had cousin Stacie's soup at Christmas and it was outstanding. I can't wait to make it for myself.
This is excellent. I used ground lamb and subbed tarragon for the basil.