Recipe by La Marz
This recipe was one of my favorites growing up, back home. Too bad I didn't get a chance to get the actual recipe from Mom, but, this I got it from a local store add (Tiendas Coppel), and have made some minor changes to make it more like my mom's. This recipe is from the Region of Sonora, México.
- 1 lb cauliflower floret
- 10 ounces Cotija cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoons wheat flour
- 1⁄2 lemon
- oil (for deep frying)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the cauliflower florets and ashed them with the cheese, salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, beat/whisk the egg whites until it forms peaks, then add the yolks and a couple drops of lemon juice. Beat/whisk to mix.
- Form patties with the cauliflower mixture, you can squeeze the excess water out. Pass them throu the flour, followed by the egg mixture.
- Heat up the enough oil in a skillet, and fry the patties until browned.
- For the Sauce, roast the tomatoes , either in the oven, or I usually use a dry skillet, and cut them in half before doing it. When they are roasted, blend them.
- Chop the onion very fine.
- Fry the tomato sauce with some oil (or lard), adding the finely chopped onions to ti. Bring it to a boil.
- Serve the patties covered with the sauce.