Recipe by Debbb
I found this recipe in the Toronto Star newspaper when I was just a kid & have been making it ever since. I tweaked the method ever so slightly & always use Picard Peanuts (a local grower who is widely available) Jumbo Cocktail Peanuts. I won 1st place at the County Fair with it as a Junior & an Adult. There are many other recipes here for microwave brittle but none with the exact ingredients & method of mine.
- 1 1⁄2 cups salted peanuts
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup beehive corn syrup
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Generously butter a baking sheet.
- In an 8" square glass baking pan, stir together peanuts, sugar, syrup & salt. It will not completely blend at this stage.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Remove from microwave & stir to completely combine.
- Return to microwave & cook on high for 3 1/2 minutes.
- Remove from microwave & stir in butter and vanilla.
- Return to microwave & cook on high for 2 minutes.
- Remove from microwave & quickly stir in baking soda. Mixture will become light & foamy.
- Immediately pour onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Slowly tilt the baking sheet back & forth and side to side to even out the candy. Do NOT spread with a spoon - this will diminish the bubbles & make the candy too hard.
- Cool on wire rack until the bottom of the baking sheet is cool to the touch.
- Break into small pieces by hand.
- Store in an airtight container. Do NOT refrigerate.