Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe requires a little bit of work but it's quite good. A good way to get veggies into your diet!
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Spanish onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 12 ounces carrots, peeled and partially boiled
- 1⁄2 green pepper, seeded and chopped finely (optional)
- 1⁄2 red pepper, seeded and chopped finely (optional)
- 1 lb smaller sized zucchini, skin left on and sliced very thinly
- salt and pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can baked beans, drained
- 1 (12 ounce) can whole kernel corn or 1 (12 ounce) can creamed corn
- 3 ounces butter
- 3 ounces flour
- 1 1⁄2 pints milk
- 1 cup grated old cheddar cheese
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs lean ground beef
- In a large deep frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add onion and garlic and fry until onions are golden brown.
- Add meat and fry until meat is well browned.
- Add zucchini, peppers,partially boiled carrots, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low heat till veggies are tender.
- Add corn and beans and simmer till they are heated through.
- Remove from heat and spoon into a large baking dish.
- Set it aside but keep it warm.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium sized saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Remove pot from heat and with a wooden spoon, stir in flour to make a smooth paste.
- Add milk gradually, stirring constantly.
- When all the milk has been added, return pot to the heat.
- Cook sauce for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly until it comes to a boil and is smooth and thick.
- Stir in cheese.
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks until they are well mixed.
- Add 4-5 tbsp of the sauce into the egg yolk mixture.
- Add it all back into the sauce mixture.
- Pour the sauce over the meat mixture in the baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake another 10-15 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.