Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a Japanese delicate suimono soup makes an elegant first course...or final course for that matter
- 1 boneless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into small bite-sized cubes
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in warm water with 1 tsp sugar for 30 minutes,cutting off stem,then sliced finely
- 1 small leek, sliced very finely
- 4 cups dashi
- Salt the little chicken cubes lightly, then simmer in water until just barely tender.
- Remove from heat and reserve.
- Bring the dashi to a simmer, then add the chicken pieces and shiitake mushroom slices.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain out the chicken and mushrooms and arrange evenly and in patterns in the 4 soup bowls.
- Ladle the hot dashi over these bits, sprinkle each bowl with thinly sliced leeks, cover with lids, and serve immediately.
I tried this recipe out tonight as an accompanyment to an 'Aust/Asian' style dinner I prepared. I will never tire of the flavours of simple fare such as this. Wonderful. Simple to make and deliciously light on the tummy (at least that's what I told myself as I tucked into seconds). Thank you Tish, "good tucka".