Recipe by Member #610488
This recipe comes from a restaurant in Nagoya, Japan. Fukuoka on the island of Kyushu is known for its chicken cuisine, poultry-raising being a long established art there.
- 3 lbs chicken pieces
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb daikon radishes or 1 lb carrot
- 1 medium napa cabbage
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 lb fresh tofu
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sake or 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 scallions, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Grate enough of the radish to yield 1/4 cup. Add this to the orange juice and soy sauce mixture. Mix well, along with the sugar, and chill.
- Cut the chicken pieces into bite-sized pieces and simmer in chicken stock. Cover and simmer for one hour, or until the chicken is tender and falling off of the bones. Cut the radish into slices 1/2 inch thick. Slice the cabbage. Cut the mushrooms in half. Dice the tofu into 1 inch cubes. Add to the broth in the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- Serve in individual bowls, with saucers of the chilled soy-orange sauce, scallions, and salt for dipping.