Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I am Torgo. When The Master sent me off to live in a halfway house for a while, my housemates loved this concoction the best. Their fellowship helped me become the Torgo I am today and I name this soup for them. (UPDATED 10/1/09: reduced cumin from 2 tsp to 1).
- 1 (16 ounce) bag 15 bean soup mix (discard spice packet)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -2 shallot, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bell peppers, chopped (prefer 1 yellow & 1 orange for colorful soup)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lemon, juice of
- salt & pepper, to taste
- mozzarella cheese, shredded (optional)
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
- Soak beans overnight; drain & rinse. Put in large pot with 1/2 gallon of water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Add bay leaves and sausage. Cook 2-1/2 hours.
- Add tomatoes, onion, shallots, garlic, bell peppers chili powder, cumin, lemon juice, salt & pepper. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Serve in bowls topped with cheese and a dash of Tabasco. Eat.