Recipe by Oenophilly
Not Apple Pie made in the nude, but rather apple pie without its traditional pastry covering. Instead, it has a walnutty streusel topping! Adapted from recipes in Good Housekeeping and Family Circle (I think). Tastes delicious serves hot or cold.
Top Review by alligirl
I must confess, I also 'cheated', using a frozen crust leftover from another recipe. I think the crust should have been par baked, or blind baked, before filling, as the end result tasted a little doughy. I also am not sure about the addition of the applesauce; I used it, but would most likely skip it next time. It seemed to make the pie too mushy. The topping for the 'topless' pie was a nice addition, with great flavor and added good texture! Thanks for sharing, Oenophilly.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chilled butter or 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 4 large tart apples, cored and cut into 16 wedges (ex ( granny smith or golden delicious)
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, in pats
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped (I prefer black walnuts)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Pastry:
- Stir together salt and flour in bowl. Add butter/shortening with blender until mixture is coarse. Add water one tbsp at a time, stirring in between. Shape the pastry into a disk, cover it with plastic wrap, and chill until firm (about 1 hr).
- After Chilled, roll pastry onto lightly floured surface with a rolling pin until it makes a circle about 11 inches wide. Transfer to a 9-in pie plate. Squash it down to make it fit, and trim and crimp the edges.
- Prepare Pie Filling:
- Combine sugars, flour, lemon rind, lemon juice, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Thoroughly toss the mixture with the apple slices, ensuring that all of the slices are well coated.
- Prepare Topping:.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger in a small bowl. Cut in butter until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in walnuts.
- Prepare Pie:.
- Spread applesauce over bottom of the pie shell, then add the coated apple slices. They should make about three layers. Spoon the topping over the apples.
- Bake pie at 400 for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350, cover pie loosely with tin foil, and bake for another 45 to 55 minutes.