Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
although i have never had max and erma's soup, i made this recipe and oh my gosh..... it is so good!!! "Recipe created by Todd Wilbur www.TopSecretRecipes.com". Read more: <a href="http://www.food.com/mail/view?msgid=3940253&oc=linkback">http://www.food.com/mail/view?msgid=3940253&oc=linkback</a> everyone i have made it for has asked for the recipe after. i usually make a huge pot and have it for a few nights, the second night always tastes better than the first! i will write the recipe the way it was written to me, then i will put a note of what i have done to change it at the end.
- 1 skinless chicken breast
- 1 skinless chicken thigh
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup minced white onion
- 1⁄4 cup minced anaheim chili
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 ounces shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 2 limes
- 1⁄4 cup canned diced tomato
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground Mexican oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- tortilla chips
- Cook the chicken in a saute pan with a little oil on med. for 4-5 minutes per side. (i like to add chalula dry seasoning to the chicken before i brown it). You wont need to worry about cooking the chicken all the way through, since it will finish cooking in the soup. when chicken is cool, chop it into bite-size pieces.
- In a large saucepan, heat vegetable oil over medium/low heat. Add onion, minced pepper and garlic and slowly sweat for 15 minutes or until the onion turns translucent.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the chicken broth, then add mixture to the pan, along with the remaining ingredients. Bring heat to medium while stirring constantly to mix the cheese inches (if you do not mix well, the cheese will just fall to the bottom of the soup) When soup begins to bubble, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- when soup is ready to eat, fill your bowl and crumble torilla chips, then cheese and cilantro. :).
- Now -- the few changes I make is I like to quadruple the recipe and just use a family pack size of boneless skinless chicken breasts instead of using thighs too. I prefer the taste of 3 yellow chili peppers to the anaheim pepper also. I am not a fan of cornstarch so I use flour and add it to my onions before I add them to my soup. I also add a large can of black beans just because I like them, and I dont have mexican oregano so I just use regular oregano instead. hope you enjoy this recipe, i surely do. I cant wait for summer to end so I can make some more, it has been too long!